About the NYAA Field Hockey Program
We work with the high school team to put together a strong instructional curriculum that will serve as the basis for each practice. The curriculum will be based on a program the United States Field Hockey Association recommends for younger players. The high school players are very excited about the opportunity to instruct your child and are developing additional fun activities to make this a memorable experience for all involved.
Donate your used field hockey equipment!
Have any field hockey sticks or field hockey balls laying around that you do not want or need anymore? We will gladly take any sticks or balls that are decent enough for our girls to reuse. Please contact the Field Hockey Director, Christine Oldt.
2020 Registration Fee:
Junior and Seniors $75
Each registered paid player will receive a uniform that needs to be turned in at the end of the season. Be sure to fill out your daughter’s t-shirt size when you register her on the website. This way we can be ready for the season!
NYAA Field Hockey Game Location
We will be practicing at the Weisenberg Fields. Our games and play days are located in Lehigh and Berks counties.
The entire program will offer three levels of training for the upcoming season.
Divisions Based on Grade:
- Youth Division: 1st and 2nd grade
- NOTE: This division will focus more on drills, stick skills, and physical fitness, rather than organized games or scrimmages.
- There must be at least one parent coach per 10 players in this division or we will not be able to offer it. Coaching instructions will be given to volunteers if they do not have field hockey experience. NYAA coaches must have security clearance (details will be given to coaches and is a free service to you paid for by NYAA). Please contact the Field Hockey Director, Christine Oldt, if you are willing to help in this role. Again, if no parents volunteer to help with this division, we will not be able to offer it.
- Junior Division: 3rd and 4th grades
- Focus is on basic stick skills as well as other fundamentals to the game. Practice drills and game like situations will begin as more of the rules of the game are introduced.
- Senior Division: 5th and 6th grades
- Eye protection is HIGHLY recommended and required in Middle School so it is worth the safety investment.
- The Senior Division will learn in more detail positions on a full field (goalie, offense, and defense) and basic rules of the game. In order to do this fairly we will break the girls onto different teams each week so they can learn many different positions on the field.
Note: Girls entering 7th grade for the 2020-2021 school year can try out for the Northwestern Lehigh Middle School Field Hockey Team.
NYAA Field Hockey
The following information is designed to make sure that your child is ready for the upcoming field hockey season. NYAA field hockey will provide most of the items your child will need for the upcoming season. The remaining items you will either need to purchase or borrow from someone.
Each player must have the following items before they can practice:
- Field hockey stick: NYAA can provide sticks to borrow for the season for all girls in the program. We will hand out the sticks at the first practice, and it must be returned after the last game. For the majority of you, it is your child’s first time playing field hockey so it's recommended that you have her use the NYAA stick for the season and purchase one later if she enjoyed the sport. If you have your own stick, be sure to bring it to the first practice.
- Mouth guard: We will provide your daughter with a mouthguard as well. We will also have some for purchase if you forget or lose your own mouth guard for $2. They are also available to purchase at sports stores or look in retail stores that carry a sports equipment section. If you child wears braces, we recommend asking your orthodontist for a specialized mouth guard that fits over braces.
- Field hockey ball: We will also give your daughter a ball, so that she can take it home to practice. It is recommended to put their name on it with sharpie marker, so that they can identify their ball during practice. We will also have a bucket of balls if your daughter forgets her ball at home.
- Shin guards: This item will be entirely your responsibility. Make sure that the shin guards fit properly and are of adequate quality. Most sporting goods stores carry them. Longstreth, a specialty field hockey store carries many different styles and can be ordered online. Shin guards are available in a youth and an adult size. The youth size fits players 4’6” or shorter. The adult size fits those over 4’6”.
- Eye Protection: Eye wear is mandatory for all girls in age groups 3/4, and 5/6. Please visit a sporting goods store for eye protection for field hockey. Please make sure you are purchasing outdoor eye protection, and not indoor.
- Uniform: Each player will receive a reversible jersey and skirt. We will wear the black side for away games, and the white side for home games. Be sure to fill out your daughter’s t-shirt size when you register her on the website. This way the uniforms will be ready for the first night of practice.