About the NYAA Field Hockey Program
We work with the high school team to put together a strong instructional curriculum that will serve as the basis for each practice. The curriculum will be based on a program the United States Field Hockey Association recommends for younger players. The high school players are very excited about the opportunity to instruct your child and are developing additional fun activities to make this a memorable experience for all involved.
We are part of the Lehigh Valley Youth Field Hockey League. Teams in this league include: Egypt, Lower Macungie, Northern Lehigh and South Parkland.
NYAA Field Hockey Practice & Game Locations
Practices are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays, generally from 6:00 to 7:15/7:30 at Weisenberg Fields, 9504 Bachelor Road, Kutztown, PA.
Our games and play days are located within Lehigh county. Our home games are held at Weisenberg Field.
Our program offers three levels of training for the upcoming season.
Divisions Based on GRADE LEVEL:
2022 Registration Fee: REGISTRATION OPENS ON MAY 1, 2022.
Youth-$75 plus a $10 Administrative fee
Junior and Seniors-$100 plus a $10 Administrative fee
- Youth Division: Grades 1 & 2
- NOTE: This division will focus on drills, stick skills, and physical fitness, rather than organized games or scrimmages.
- There must be at least one parent coach per 10 players in this division or we will not be able to offer it. Coaching instructions will be given to volunteers if they do not have field hockey experience. NYAA coaches must have security clearance (details will be given to coaches and is a free service to you paid for by NYAA). Please contact the Field Hockey Director, Christine Oldt, if you are willing to help in this role. Again, if no parents volunteer to help with this division, we will not be able to offer it.
- Junior Division: Grades 3 & 4
- Focus is on basic stick skills as well as other fundamentals to the game. Practice drills and game like situations will begin as more of the rules of the game are introduced.
- Senior Division: Grades 5 & 6
- Eye protection is HIGHLY recommended and required in Middle School so it is worth the safety investment.
- The Senior Division will learn in more detail positions on a full field (goalie, offense, and defense) and basic rules of the game.
Note: Girls entering 7th grade for the 2022-2023 school year can try out for the Northwestern Lehigh Middle School Field Hockey Team.
NYAA Field Hockey Equipment
Each registered paid player will receive a ball and mouth guard.
The remaining items you will either need to purchase or can borrow from NYAA.
Each player MUST have the following items before they can practice:
- Field hockey stick: NYAA can provide sticks to borrow for the season for all girls in the program. We will hand out the sticks at the first practice, and it must be returned at the end of the season. For the majority of you, it is your child’s first time playing field hockey so it's recommended that you have her use the NYAA stick for the season and purchase one later if she enjoyed the sport. If you have your own stick, be sure to bring it to the first practice.
- Mouth guard: We will provide your daughter with a mouth guard. They are also available to purchase at sports stores or look in retail stores that carry a sports equipment section. If you child wears braces, we recommend asking your orthodontist for a specialized mouth guard that fits over braces.
- Field hockey ball: We will also give your daughter a ball, so that she can take it home to practice. It is recommended to put their name on it with sharpie marker, so that they can identify their ball during practice. We will also have a bucket of balls if your daughter forgets her ball at home.
- Shin guards: This item will be entirely your responsibility. Make sure that the shin guards fit properly and are of adequate quality. Most sporting goods stores carry them. Longstreth, a specialty field hockey store carries many different styles and can be ordered online. Shin guards are available in a youth and an adult size. The youth size fits players 4’6” or shorter. The adult size fits those over 4’6”.
- Eye Protection: Goggles are OPTIONAL for all girls at all age groups. If you prefer your daughter to wear goggles, make sure you are purchasing outdoor eye protection, and not indoor.
- Uniform: Junior and Senior Division players will receive a reversible jersey and skirt. We will wear the black side for away games and the white side for home games. Youth Division will be provided a NYAA Field Hockey shirt to wear for games. Be sure to fill out your daughter’s jersey, shirt and skirt sizes when you register.